About The Evesham Abbey Trust
The Evesham Abbey Trust (registered charity 1165547) was founded to accept the generous offer by the Rudge family of the site of Evesham Abbey. The trust is a charitable incorporated organisation (CIO) which was created on 24 October 2015.
The charitable objective of the trust is to conserve, preserve and improve for the public benefit the natural and man-made heritage contained within the site and environs of Evesham Abbey, Evesham, Worcestershire.
The town is currently home to a collection of separate historic buildings and sites: the Abbey walls with the surrounding parkland; All Saints and St Lawrence Churches; the Bell Tower; Almonry Museum, and the Simon de Montfort Memorial in Abbey Park. The aim ultimately is to bring all these together into a single 'Heritage Quarter', with appropriate interpretation, and educational opportunities, and with the planned Heritage Gardens as the centrepiece. All involved in this ambitious project believe it will greatly enhance understanding of the historic importance of these sites, and create a feature that will be the pride of the town and a major attraction to visitors.
Mr Stan Brotherton is a qualified accountant with a strong IT background. He is passionate about local history and has helped to manage the Bell Tower Appeal and restoration project and has written a number of local history books. He was a founder member of the Trust, serving as a Trustee from November 2015 until May 2018, when his work demands require him to stand down. He was then made Honorary President in recognition of his contribution to the Trust.
Sir Roy Strong
Sir Roy Colin Strong is a nationally renowned art historian, museum curator, writer, broadcaster and landscape designer.
Dr David Cox
For over fifty years Dr Cox has been writing scholarly works on Evesham Abbey, the Battle of Evesham (1265), and other aspects of the Vale of Evesham. Born near Evesham in 1945 and educated at Prince Henry’s Grammar School and UCL, Dr Cox was appointed assistant editor of the Victoria History of Shropshire in 1972 and became county editor in 1999, retiring in 2002. From 1997 to 2002 he also lectured in history at Keele University, where he was co-director of the Latin and Palaeography Summer School and founder of the Shropshire Record Series. He was elected FSA in 1978.
Nigel Huddleston, who lives in Badsey, became MP for Mid-Worcestershire in 2015. He has a particular interest in tourism and the digital economy, and sits on the Culture, Media and Sport Committee.